Saturday, October 4, 2008

Saturday, October 4th - Part 1


Today was essentials day. After waking up and moving everything from the garage into the house, we took a break and walked up to the local coffee shop, Mokarabia, got a couple of coffees, and sat on a bench on the square taking it all in - the biweekly bookmobile (haven't seen one of those since I was about 7), kids playing in the fountain, clouds rolling in for a possible storm. We toured the Village Health Club, got info on membership, and saw the pools that are included with residency - two nice ones, one for lounging and the other for laps. We met the Millers, a family of six from the area that moved to Verrado in May, and realized that, although we might be living in Mayberry, we are in a very special place.

Off to WalMart - AGAIN - for the items we could no longer live without, but we did stop in a NY style bagel and deli place for lunch first. I have to say I was extremely surprised as I had remembered from living here years ago that decent bagels were nearly impossible to find, and these were really very good.  Then some furniture shopping, a stop at PetSmart for more essentials, Lowe's to check out grills and workbenches, etc. By the time we made it home we were exhausted, but there was still too much to do. We dropped everything off, checked on the cats, and were ready to get going again, but once again got sidetracked with a neighbor.

I was outside of the garage throwing something away when I saw someone up our back alley - more on the "alleys" later - unloading what appeared to be cases of wine from their car. Greg, the neighbor that had moved out, had mentioned there was a nice couple in the wine distribution business up the street. As a wine fan I couldn't help myself and called over to him, "I have to ask...are you the wine guy?" He said, "I sure am!" and came down to introduce himself. I explained that Greg who had just moved out had told us one of our neighbors was in the wine business and I put two and two together when I saw him unloading. He welcomed us to the neighborhood and mentioned it was a perfect day for us with the sunset and rainbow at the same time. I turned around to see a full rainbow - end to end - larger than any I've ever seen in my life stretching across half the sky, but it was impossible to photograph with a normal camera. I said I had to show Shawn, and Tom said, "Go get Shawn, I'll go get a bottle, and I'll see you in a minute." Sure enough, a minute later he had a great bottle of Pinot Noir for me and we talked up about wine, restaurants in the area, pets, etc. We'll definitely be catching up with him and his wife Kim soon.

Just another Verrado day.

No comments: